Flooding Insurance In Sacramento

The Sacramento city has most of its areas protected by Levees; however, it is still important for homeowners to know about the flood insurance policies in Sacramento and how it works. About 25% of the areas in Sacramento are within the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). This implies that properties in these areas can be flooded one out of every 100 times within a year. 

The other 75% are also not guaranteed all-year safety because nature is unpredictable. There can be a violent winter storm or any other happenings that can cause flooding. Also, the cost of repairing the damage caused by a flood can be more than 50% of the house’s value. Since no one wants this or prays for this to happen, it is important to get a flooding insurance policy.

Types of Flooding Insurance in Sacramento

There are two types of insurance, each depending on the location of the property:

Regular or Standard Flood Insurance: This is the insurance option offered to residents living within the special flood hazard area on the flood map page. The Federal Emergency Management Agency separates these locations because of the high risk of flooding associated with them. This kind of insurance can be gotten from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) through the local insurance provider. It is expedient for homeowners within this area to get their properties insured against a flood, as this will help prevent spending too much on repairs when a flood happens. 

Preferred Risk Flood Insurance (PRPS):  The preferred risk flood insurance is for homeowners who reside in the remaining 75% part that are not under the SFHA. It is also important for these homeowners to use this insurance option as FEMA predicts a 26% likelihood of flooding for homes with a 30-year mortgage in these areas.

The PRPS costs lower than Standard Flood Insurance, and it is best for anyone who wants to secure their properties during the time of the flood. This is because the insurance policy also covers the contents of the home if they are affected by the flood.

How to get the PRPS Insurance

Getting the preferred risk flood insurance is quite easy as long as you can take the steps listed below:

  • Contact your insurance agent, informing them of your interest in securing the insurance policy. They will not automatically approve the PRPS but will have to inspect the home, ensuring it is not within the SFHA.
  • You can assist with this process by offering the Agent the Letter of Map Revision. This letter can help fast-track the process of inspection and approval as it will show that your property is not under the Federal Flood Insurance Requirement. 
  • You can get the Letter of Map Revision from the Department of Utilities at any time. You will be asked to drop your name, address, mobile number, and Tax Assessor’s Parcel Number. You will get feedback within two business days.
  • After this has been done, you can then get the Preferred Risk Policy Application from your Agent and fill it. You can also apply for a Flood Insurance Premium Refund, which can be used to buy the PRPs.

Once this has been done and properly submitted, you will have a 30-day waiting period, after which the insurance will be approved, and you can go ahead to enjoy flood insurance on your property.


Get More Info On Options To Sell Your Home...

Selling a property in today's market can be confusing. Connect with us or submit your info below and we'll help guide you through your options.

What Do You Have To Lose? Get Started Now...

  • We buy houses in ANY CONDITION in CA. There are no commissions or fees and no obligation whatsoever. Start below by giving us a bit of information about your property.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *